The sweet flavors of Fall often get the spotlight, but let’s not forget about the amazing savory flavors! Those are the foods that make eating seasonally really fun. I LOVE comforting Fall and Winter dishes! Garlic-roasted Brussels sprouts, warming squash soups – not only do these vegetables taste like they SHOULD be eaten in winter months, but they also supply us with a range of wonderful nutrients for the season.
Enter my Warm Fall Harvest Salad! This recipe would be great as a side to a Thanksgiving table (check out my full Paleo Thanksgiving menu here), or just as a simple lunch (maybe add a side of protein). It combines some of my favorite flavors: fresh garlic (always), citrus, a little “smoky” flavor from the toasted sesame oil, and a little sweetness from the butternut squash and maple syrup.
And the texture is awesome. I like my food to have lots of different textures, and the pecans + squash + brussels combo accomplishes that!
- 1 whole butternut squash, diced
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, cut in small slices
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 small-medium garlic cloves
- 2 tsp toasted cold-pressed sesame oil
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Dash of red pepper (more if you like spicy)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- More sea salt to taste if needed
- Spread out the diced butternut squash in a baking dish and cook on 425 F for about 35 minutes (until easily pierced with a fork).
- While the squash cooks, drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and heat on low.
- Place 2 cups cut Brussels sprouts in the pan and add 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
- Stir until cooked through and slightly browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place cooked Brussels in a mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- When squash is ready, combine it in the bowl and add more sea salt and fresh garlic to taste.
- Serves 4-6 as a side.
Some of the links in this post are to Amazon, and link to my affiliate account with them. If you choose to purchase through one of my affiliate links, it really helps me out, with NO additional cost to you.