Can you believe we’re coming up on November already?? It’s the time of year for chilly air, family reunions around a table, and AMAZING comfort food!
My FAVORITE Thanksgiving side dish growing up was the “sweet potato soufflé”. When my mom would ask us what dishes we wanted in the Thanksgiving round-up, I always made sure that was included. So when I decided to re-create the dish, I took a look at the recipe…and saw that it calls for TWO CUPS of sugar (some recipes also call for a marshmallow topping)! No wonder I always liked it! 😉
The thing is, you can recreate amazing traditional dishes without using all the fake ingredients and loads of sugar.
This delicious side is sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving Day table (or for any other special occasion)! The maple syrup enhances the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, leaving you with a dish that tastes like a treat, but isn’t as sugar-laden as the original.
…And my favorite part? The slightly caramelized pecans…Mmm! 🙂
Yes, it is possible to have a Paleo Thanksgiving without totally changing the menu. Try this dish out, and let me know what you think!
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Fill a pot with about 2" of water, and steam chopped potatoes in a steamer basket until mushy (this took about 30 minutes for me).
- When the chopped sweet potatoes are done, move them out of the steamer pot and into a food processor. Blend until smooth and then scoop into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a spoon or whisk, mix in eggs, coconut milk, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish, scraping out all the yummy bits with a spatula. Smooth the top.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, cutting in the softened butter.
- Using your hands, gently sprinkle and spread topping over the sweet potato mixture, trying to cover the whole surface.
- Place casserole dish in the oven and bake for about 55 minutes.
- Makes 1 full 9x13 casserole dish.