I don’t think I ever ate beets as a kid, so they were a bit of a mystery to me. If you’re new to beets and open a CSA veggie box to find them sitting there, they might be a little scary to you, too! But don’t turn up your nose yet. Beets are not only nutritious and vibrantly colored – they can actually be pretty delicious if you have a good recipe! 😉
Why Should You Eat Them?
Again, let’s remember that eating a healthy diet does not just involve removing the less helpful foods. To really maximize health, you need to ADD healing, nutrient-dense foods into your diet.
For example, beets are a fantastic source of antioxidants (which are protective against cancer), along with vitamin C and essential minerals. They also have anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of a compound called betaine, and can aid in the detoxification process.
What To Do With Them
So many interesting options!
- Let’s start with the basic (but still delish) Marinated Roasted Beets recipe from Nom Nom Paleo!
- If you want something a little more interesting, add bacon with this Balsamic Baked Beets with Bacon. 😉
- Or if you’re looking for a new snack, this Oven Baked Beet Chips recipe by A Spicy Perspective would be fun to try!
- If you want to get really crazy (and own a spiralizer), try this flavorful Spiralized Beet Salad by Fashionable Foods!
- Feeling a sweet and savory taste? Try this recipe for Honey Roasted Beets with Balsamic and Thyme by Fox Valley Foodie.
- This warm Autumn Salad with Roasted Red Beets, Butternut Squash & Brussel Sprouts looks absolutely delicious. And it’s topped with a blood orange vinaigrette…MMM!
- This Beet Hummus is fun because it’s so vibrant. It would be amazing on veggie slices for a party!